We are at a pivotal time in our planets history, where:
- The planet is on a trajectory of 4.1 °C – 4.8 °C of warming by 2100 above pre-industrial levels as reported by Climate Action Tracker;
- Deforestation is occurring at alarming rates, with and area larger than the size of South Africa being lost from 1990 to 2016 according to The World Bank; and
- One million species are at risk of extinction and plastic and other waste products are polluting our oceans leading to over 400 ‘dead zones’ totaling an area the size of the United Kingdom according to the United Nations.
There is however hope that with strong action from governments, organisations and individuals all around the world, we can limit global warming to 1.5 °C by 2100 above pre-industrial levels, avoid the catastrophic impacts of a warmer climate, reduce our production of waste and improve biodiversity.
“But what can I do about climate change?”
BookedYet.com aims to empower travelers with information about actions hotels and resorts around the world are taking to reduce the impact on the environment. We hope that this will help in the shift to a low carbon economy and increased the demand for sustainable products and services.
BookedYet.com – Tourism for SDG’s
In 2015, world leaders at the United Nations committed all countries to pursue 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) to be achieved by 2030.
The SDGs set the world on a path for sustainable development and tourism can play a significant role in delivering solutions that meet some of these goals either directly or indirectly.
Hotels and resorts that have received an eco-label have taken steps to achieving several SDG’s. Green Globe for example identified three key goals that relate to sustainable tourism and are built into their more than 40 sustainability criteria to receive certification:
- Goal 8: Decent work and economic growth;
- Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production; and
- Goal 14: Life below water.
In addition to the Goals identified above by Green Globe that are built into their sustainability criteria, hotels and resorts could also achieve Goals 6, 7, 11 and 13 for clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, sustainable cities and communities and climate action, respectively.
BookedYet.com will highlight accommodation options if they have received a certification from a leading certification scheme that is based on the criteria of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council – GSTC.